Friday, November 11, 2011

My dad

Today I am honoring my father.  He was a very proud Marine who served his country in Vietnam.  I only ever heard bits and pieces about his time as a Marine and Vietnam. 

He lost his battle with small-cell lung cancer on March 31, 2004.  He was 56.

The only times I can recall him telling me about Vietnam were on a couple of occasions. 

The first being when we were out shopping for my mom's Christmas gifts.  We were at Uno's in Birch Run and I just asked out of curiosity about his time as a Marine.  He quickly told me he was there in 1969 for awhile and then his brother went over there later and he (his brother) was in the Army.

The second being when he had already been diagnosed with cancer and had only a little time left.  He was angry and frustrated and told us he should have just died in Vietnam.  He was the leader of his battalion and lead his men into battle.  He talked about how he watched them die right beside him yet he got out.  He made it home. 

I treasure these stories.  This is a part of his history. 

Brendan loves the American flag just like his Grandpa Paul
God bless all the veterans (past, present, and future).  Thank you for your dedication to our country and for keeping us safe.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Marie, for writing about your Dad, he would be very proud of the daughter, wife and mother you have become. I am sure he is looking done and smiling at you for all you do.
    Love you

    ReplyDelete