Friday, July 12, 2013

Summer Days (Catching up)

Oh how I love the relaxing summer days.  No schedules. No plans. Warm breezes and sunshine...

Sounds dreamy right? 

Our summer days usually include the 7 and 3 year old yelling, fighting, and just overall annoying one another.  I try and hide out with Parker while he naps just because it is quiet and I can say, "Shhh!  The baby is sleeping! Work it out yourselves."  Mom of the year over here.

We have had some fun despite the pretty picture I am painting here.  My best friend has a gorgeous pool so we have been over there a couple times to swim.  Brendan and Lila were both brave the last pool visit.  Brendan jumped off the diving board several times and Lila finally figured out how to "swim" and even swam in the deep end! 





A couple weeks ago we had a huge storm come through our area.  I was at my mom's house. She lives about 20 minutes away from us.  My cousin was up visiting from Ohio and we saw all these storms were coming.  It was the slowest moving storm ever.  Heavy rain, thunder, lightning, and wind for over an hour.  We waited it out and both left my mom's just around 6pm.  My husband told me not to come my usual way because the road was closed due to a down power line.  Little did I know that my area took the brunt of the storm and literally almost every road to get to my town was closed due to flooding.  We had a flash flood on a couple of the streets in my neighborhood, down trees, and several families had flooded basements.  I was in the van with three kids for 2.5 hours.  At dinnertime.  It was all kinds of awesome.  Lights were out everywhere.  Roads were flooded everywhere and my cell service was not working.  My cousin made it home to Toledo before I made it home with the kids.




The day after this huge storm we left for a weekend to Northern Michigan with our neighborhood friends.  We all had no power and our friend's husband stayed behind to deal with the flooded basements and generators.  Our power ended up being out for 24 hours longer than anticipated.  We got to throw away all our fridge/freezer food when we got home.  We did manage to have a great weekend up north.  You never know when you have three families (5 adults, 8 kids, and 2 dogs) in one house.  It was fun!  Minimum arguing and lots of laughs.  We went on nature walks, relaxed, and had 2 beach days.  Brendan and I did some birding and added a few new birds to our list!










Next up is our weekend trip to Kentucky for my cousin's wedding reception at the end of this month.  My mom and I also want to get up to Mackinac later this summer with the kids and take a drive through Shiawassee to use her nice new binoculars and spot some birds.

Happy Summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment